Home game a success for Monash Uni Storm

Hawks Netball, Mon May 8, 2017 11:29AM

It was a successful night for Monash Uni Storm at its first Victorian Netball League home game of 2017, with two of its three teams triumphing against Southern Saints.

The Division 1 team secured its first win of the season, while the 19/U side is now unbeaten after two rounds after surviving a close one. 





It was the closest of close calls for our Championship team, who went down by a goal scored in the dying seconds.

A slow start to the game didn't phase the Monash girls and they clawed their way back to trail by three at quarter-time, and kept pace with Saints for the rest of the game.

An injury to wing attack Annabel Gillies in the third quarter couldn't shake Monash from their task and they readjusted and then took the lead in the final quarter, going up by two goals with four minutes remaining.

Only a couple of errors in the final minutes denied them, with the winning Saints goal coming almost on the final whistle.




Our Div 1 team bounced back from a disappointing loss in Round 1 to register its first win of the season, 40-35.

The team led from start to finish, taking a 12-6 advantage into the first break and then repelling numerous Saints challenges throughout the game and hanging on in the last quarter.

The team's defence was a standout, despite the absence of captain Maddy Byrne, with wing defence Mia Fallon exceptional and defenders Chloe Sinclair and Ebony Roberts continuing to rack up turnovers.

An unfortunate injury to Roberts in the second quarter saw training partner Juliet Fisher slot in seamlessly, with a number of flying intercepts in the final quarter curbing a late Saints run.




The Monash 19/U team remains unbeaten after two rounds, overcoming a sluggish start to beat Saints 41-36.

Monash struggled to finish off under the post early, falling 0-6 behind before shooters Daisy Hill and Kassidy Withers settled and pegged the margin back to make it 11-11 at quarter-time.

With defender Sally Deller turning in another outstanding performance, Monash held Saints to six goals in the second quarter to grab a 22-17 lead into the long break.

Saints came hard in the third quarter, narrowing the gap to two goals at the final change, but Monash showed poise to stay clear and hang on for a five-goal victory.


All three teams will be back at it next Saturday with an away game in Diamond Creek against DC North East Blaze Netball Club.

Last updated: Monday May 8, 2017 12:07PM